Richmond HL, NY. July 4, 2012
The identities of two suspects of Zeus botnet event has been published by Microsoft who used approx 13 million of computers for stealing an estimated amount of over $100 million. Special software was used to establish altered and artificial sites by the pair of botnet users to capture the keystrokes for identity and use the same for withdrawing victim’s money.
Microsoft announced on July 2, 2012 that it made some modification in the complaint lodged previous week for addition of suspects like Yuriy Konovalenko and Yevhen Kulibaba. It further said that both the botnet pair has been charged in UK prison for the similar activities.
The senior attorney of Microsoft crime unit, Mr. Domingues Boscovich, reported previously the complaint was registered against the suspect John Doe but no gain. Further, he stated in official Microsoft blog post that the complaint was altered to continue the suspect against Kulibaba and Konovalenko including John Doe.
Boscovich further stated that in March coincidential raids were made which resulted to 50 percent decrease in botnet attacks. The command-and-control servers were captured in Pa, Scranton and Lombard when raids were carried out jointly by financial organizations and Microsoft with the help of US Marshals. He also told that the results symbolize that Microsoft and financial organizations with law actions are to protect the citizens and customers.
As per the Symantec study report of March 2011, the control over Rustock botnet has decreased to one third of the spam quantity in the world. The botnet was liable to send around world’s 47 percent of spam output or maximum of 44 billion of spam messages in a day considering it a leader of spam supplier.